Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

News Release


Development opportunity available in Waiuku

JLL marketing land for sale zoned for residential development



Long term investment with development potential/new-zealand/en-gb/news/916/long-term-investment-with-development-potentialAUCKLANDLong term investment with development potential
Former Fire Station on high profile corner site/new-zealand/en-gb/news/915/former-fire-station-on-high-profile-corner-siteCHRISTCHURCHFormer Fire Station on high profile corner site

​​47 Constable Rd 10 small-min.jpgJLL is marketing a freehold 4,011sqm parcel of land for sale at 47 Constable Road in Waiuku. 

The land is zoned Mixed Housing Suburban under the Unitary Plan. It has been home to a small business for many years but will be sold with vacant possession. 

There are some small buildings on the site at present, but the land is being marketed as a development opportunity. JLL agent Kurt Rains says expressions of interest on this development opportunity will close on February 14, 2017.

“Waiuku is a country town that is rapidly becoming part of Auckland city, in the sense that more and more Aucklanders are choosing to bring up their families in this beautiful area and perhaps commute a little further for work,” Rains says.

The Mixed Housing Suburban zone allows for intensification while retaining a suburban character. Development in the zone is generally two storeys and can be of either attached or detached designs. 

The location is approximately 60 kilometres southwest of Auckland’s CBD, or a 55-minute drive at off-peak times. It is 53km from Auckland International Airport and 45km from Manukau City Centre. Pukekohe is just 21km away. The town is at the southern end of the Waiuku River, which is an estuarial arm of the Manukau Harbour. 

“Drive six minutes further on from Waiuku towards the coast and you have beautiful Kariotahi beach with its black sand and stunning views,” Rains points out. “It’s easy to see why so many people are choosing to live in the Southwest of Auckland.”

In terms of public transport, the train station at Papakura is a 34km drive away. The journey time on the Southern Line from Papakura to Britomart Station takes just under one hour. 

There is currently a shuttle service between Papakura and Pukekohe Stations, however Auckland Transport has begun construction work on upgrading Pukekohe Station to a fully integrated bus and train interchange. 

In October 2016, Auckland Transport announced new buses and bus routes for Pukekohe and Waiuku. This includes a new bus route between Waiuku and Pukekohe, seven days a week. 

“It’s an area that is forecast to grow quickly over the next 10 years,” Rains says. “The population within a 10km radius is forecast to increase by 23 percent between 2018 and 2028. Over the same period, the population of the Auckland region is forecast to grow by 15 percent and New Zealand’s total population by 9 percent. The Franklin Local Board area is forecast to grow by 24 percent over that time,” he says. 

The property is handy to all of the amenities in Waiuku township. It is 250m from Waiuku College and the Unichem pharmacy, and 650m from the New World supermarket. New Zealand Steel is a major employer in the area. The Glenbrook Steel Mill is a 9-minute drive away from Constable Road. 

The Glenbrook Vintage Railway is a popular attraction that brings families to the area, particularly in summer. 

As well as the secondary school, there are six primary schools in the area, servicing the resident population of more than 8,000 people. 

Waiuku is right on the fringe of the Auckland region and its boundary with Waikato District Council’s area of jurisdiction. The town is 107km from Hamilton City Centre.